Glacier National Park 2010

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Moving Along My Path

Whoosh! What a week! I've been focused on trying to get my apartment organized....ha!.....those who know me will understand that I've tried to become more organized all my life! Because I find so many things interesting, I have a multitude of plastic storage bins in varying sizes to hold supplies for whatever project has captured my attention.  Let it be said that I eventually finish the projects.....eventually being the key word.  It only took me two years to complete my son's crocheted blanket in his university colors. That is progress, right?

While trying to make sense of my chaotic spare room which until yesterday looked more like a giant storage closet....I've also been trying to educate myself on the finer points of acting in a film.  Although I've had years of experience on stage and feel fairly comfortable there....film is somewhat different.  So I've had to replace all that knowledge about projection, movement, and rules of performance.  Very subtle movements speak volumes on film I'm told, as do facial expressions and the pace of the dialogue.

Then there is the subject matter of our film....Alzheimer's Disease and the impact it has on the patient and all those around them.  Our director has been diligent in his research and has shared much of what he has discovered.  Becoming more knowledgeable about this disease has helped me to begin to develop a character who is believable, which I feel is crucial to the success of the film.

I share this because many believe that those involved in a play or a film simply show up, "act" the part and go home.  For myself, that is far from the truth. If one is unfamiliar with the subject matter or the type of person they are portraying, their portrayal can appear stilted or like a caricature.  Once I'm cast in a role that character is in my head 24-7.  Once I've learned my lines, I work on the inflections and pacing, all the while trying different vocal inflections and adding gestures and movements until, at least in my mind, I am that character!

Its funny but someone once asked me what I liked about acting....then, as now, I like the thought of becoming someone else, at least for a little while. For me, it can be likened to going on holiday from the life I live, my personality, everything that is wrapped up in being me.......once the play or film is complete, I go happily back to the comfort of the familiar. Having been someone else for a while, I appreciate what I have and I think, in a way, it makes me more sensitive to those around me.

Do I dream of becoming a famous film star? No, not really. For me it is enough to have the chance to try new things, to know I'm not too old to learn, and to realize there are always adventures waiting for those who are ready to try them.

No comments: