Glacier National Park 2010

Thursday, August 1, 2013

It's a Wrap!

Finally a moment of peace after two very hectic weeks!

When last I wrote, my film career....lol....had just begun. And now, the film has "wrapped" and I can reflect on the experience.  It was exciting, exhausting, invigorating, and certainly kept me on my toes! There is so much more to the experience than just learning your lines and showing up.  The nitty-gritty business of putting together a film is so much more.  We dealt with pouring rain and the noise of semi trucks roaring past the location site on our first day. Not to mention a furiously clucking chicken who was determined to become a part of a dramatic moment.....and who laid an egg at our feet to prove it. Its true! I couldn't make that up! Then there was the scene in the woods with hundreds of tiny black bugs scurrying away each time I took a step....and the mosquitoes, mustn't forget them! Despite all that....there was the magic....

Yes, it was magic....to have a group of people, some of whom I'd never met, come together with a common goal and work tirelessly to make it happen. There was whole hearted effort and dedication from everyone involved. And there was kindness....and encouragement....and support....and sharing....it was amazing.  If asked to work with this group of people again....in any capacity...there would be no hesitation on my part.  They taught me so much....not just about making a film...but about the goodness which resides in the hearts of people.

During those brief down times, we shared our lives with one another. Little by little small bits of our histories were revealed and hopes, dreams were put on display. At one point it occurred to me that despite the differences in our ages....the sound director was born a year after I graduated from high school...we were still very much alike. One evening...very late...after a long day of filming at two separate locations.....everything seemed funny and giggles erupted at inappropriate moments....and it was okay. We took a collective deep breath and continued....because we all wanted the story to be told perfectly. As our director reminded us, the fact that the more and more families are being impacted by Alzheimer's every day needs to be shared.

The entertainment industry has flooded us with the images and ideas of a zombie apocalypse becoming part of our future. During this project, my son and I discussed the reality of that happening. We are already there..... those with the severest form of Alzheimer's live a zombie like existence...and there's not much to be done about it....for now. I encourage everyone to support their local Alzheimer's Association any way possible.....and reach out to those who are the caregivers for family members with Alzheimer's.....they need our help as well.

Yes, I've rambled on...but the story told by this film touched my heart deeply. My only hope is that anyone who sees it will be touched as well....and moved to become an active participant in fighting this disease.

No comments: