Glacier National Park 2010

Friday, August 3, 2012

An Olympic Lesson

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Cor. 10:31

Like so many I am staying up way past my normal bedtime in order to watch the Olympics.  And it has been wonderful!  Not because of the medal tally presented at the end of the evening but because of those glimpses of kindness between the competitors......Missy Franklin, knowing she was out of the medals in one race, turning with her bright smile to the gold medalist and giving her a big hug.....Michael Phelps after winning gold in the team medley, giving the credit to his teammates saying without the lead THEY gave him it might not have happened.

Truth be told those kinds of things are why I watch sports......yes I have favorite teams....War Eagle!...Go Braves!  But I like to see the way the athletes interact....see how the old timers encourage the rookies.....see how much fun they have with each other. I watch to see how these athletes who so many look up to as heroes behave as human beings. Because whether they want the responsibility or not, their behaviour does influence our younger generation.

Last night I felt a bright flash of hope for the generations to come. After winning all around gold in women's gymnastics, American Gabby Douglas explained how she got it done......"Its a win-win. The glory goes up to God and the blessings come down to me,".....simply and eloquently put.....and a reminder to us all.

"......whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." No exceptions.  As I go through my day I need to remember that verse......my behaviour in whatever situation, my thoughts, my actions,.....all must be accomplished in such a way that God is glorified.  What a responsibility!  No wonder we are admonished to 'pray without ceasing!'  I need God's strength...God's peace...God's grace...God's love...to make sure all I do brings God glory.  You know what?  I have all those things...just by saying His name.  Thank you God for loving me so much..........help me to love those around me in the same way.

No comments: