Glacier National Park 2010

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Loving Others

"A new command I give you: love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13 :34-35

This is one of my favorite Scriptures!  It is clear and concise and tells me exactly what I'm supposed to do as a Christian......love other people like Jesus loves me. Simple right?  Not always because I am far from perfect.  However, because I want to be a Godly woman loving others is my goal every single day.  But I can't do it on my own.

Every day I pray to see others as God sees them......to look beyond the surface to the hidden hurts each one carries within......to respond with kindness, caring and compassion to the things God reveals to me about the people with whom I come in contact. When I can't do it on my own....well, then I pray that God will love them for me.

Working with children as I do, I feel so strongly the responsibility to show each student God's love in action.  Some have loving parents who are ever present for their children......but many do not.  Others have loving parents who are having to work two jobs just to keep their family together.....that doesn't leave much time for nurturing children........in those situations, both parents and children need to see God's love at work. And in my mind, it is crucial to show love and concern but never judgement.

You see, the new command in that verse is about loving one another, plain and simple.   It is not my responsibility to pass judgement on anyone......thank goodness!  That is not a job I want.  It says, love one another......love how? as He loved me......love why? so people will "know you are my disciples."I want to be known as one of His children.....so I will reach out to others as He reached out to me....and I will do it gladly.


No comments: