Glacier National Park 2010

Monday, August 6, 2012

Fulfilling God's Purpose

"The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands." Psalm 138 : 8

Sitting here this morning, enjoying that first cup of coffee, watching the rain clouds gather as a tiny hummingbirds zips around the feeder I hung just for him........and it occurs to me, that I've had no human contact for nearly a week!  No wonder I've felt a bit low. Of course, were I free to drive I would have gotten out of my apartment and done SOMETHING to allay this pressing loneliness.

Thank goodness for Facebook....at least I can play games, read the posts of friends (and comment when appropriate!) And I've used the time to pray....to read my Bible...to read others books I've had on my Kindle forever....to work on my drawings.....it isn't that I don't have anything to do.  The point is I miss people... the exchange of ideas over a cup of coffee....the shared laughter....hugs of encouragement......all of that. Of course, once school begins next week there's no doubt I will be longing for these quiet times!

At any rate....as I sat here enjoying my "pity party," I remembered the above verse and I had to stop and look it up. And there it was.....another promise from the God who loves me unconditionally.

"The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me."  Yes He has a purpose for a lonely middle-aged woman who lives alone and is currently recovering from thyroid surgery.  This place I find myself in is only temporary.....and it is okay to feel sorry for myself and cry and wonder what comes next....but only for a little while.  Because God has a purpose for me, a job He needs me to do and I won't let Him down.I don't have to know what it is yet because if it is God's plan for me then it is perfect. So for now, I will pray and meditate on His words and open my heart to His guidance and offer myself as a willing and obedient servant.

Why? Well, the next part of the verse sums it up for me.....

"...Your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever." His love, His promises to His children never stop...if they do it is because we turn away from Him not because He forsakes us.....and even then, He is still waiting for us to come back.  I know because I once turned away.....and when I hit bottom, there He was.....arms wide open and a smile of welcome on His face.

"Do not forsake the work of Your hands." I can assure you from my experience that He doesn't.....and that is a wonderful feeling.





No comments: