Glacier National Park 2010

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Facing Temptation


Because of my recent surgery, I was unable to attend my church for the past two weeks....I missed it a lot. Although I prayed and meditated on God's Word every day, there is just something amazing about doing the same thing in a room full of others doing the same thing!  All those prayers being lifted up....all those praises for the things God is doing in each heart......all those believers asking God's Spirit to fill our hearts..........believe me when I say God was present.

One really important reason for being part of a body of believers became so apparent to me today.  Over the past few days my heart has been tempted......and it would be so easy to slide back into giving in to those temptations.  And honestly, it doesn't matter what my personal temptations are because we all have temptations we face daily. Only my best friend knew of my struggles with this issue.....or so I let myself think.

Imagine my surprise when our pastor began his lesson today with the following Scripture:

"Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away." James 1 :14

Another reminder that God knows everything about me!  He knows my heart....my mind...my weaknesses...and my strengths. AND He knows how to get my attention!  Sitting there today I realized there is nothing, nothing as important to me as being in God's Will for my life.  Yes, there are things I think I want or need, but if it takes my focus from God.....then it is not good for me.  If it is not something which glorifies Him then I don't want or need it.....period. I have lived away from God and I do not want to be away from Him again.

Our pastor went on to share the way we can resist temptation.  He shared Psalm 37 : 1-6 as a kind of blueprint I guess you could say.  The verse which resonated within my heart was verse 5 which says, "Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust Him and He will help you." That is my plan.  Whenever I am tempted.....I will turn that false desire over to God and He will help me.  Since we are all tempted daily.....I plan on taking more "delight in the Lord" because the closer I become to Him then the "desires of my heart" become more in line with what delights God.

Today God confirmed that He cares about me every-single-day, and He will use whatever means necessary to remind me of that fact.  I also know that if I do stumble, which is inevitable, He will pick me up, dust me off, and put me back on the path He has for me.

No comments: