Glacier National Park 2010

Friday, July 27, 2012

Sacrificial Sharing

It is early morning and it is reasonably quiet for the apartment complex.....car doors slamming as people rush off to work....the tinkling of the wind chimes on my porch lets me know there is a slight breeze. As I wait for the pain meds to kick in, I am reminded of how blessed I am.  For now, I have a place to live, food in the pantry, clothes in my closet and a job......most importantly, I have God's promise to fulfill my needs and the knowledge that He is with me always.

This verse captured my thoughts this morning:

"Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God." Hebrews 13: 16

At first I thought, "I always try to do good so that part's easy."  Then I looked at the second part, "share what you have," and that gave me pause.  Not because I am unwilling to share but, thinking monetarily, I don't have much.  What does this mean in my life situation? Because I am trying very hard to follow as God leads...and this verse says share what I have.  So what do I have...what do we each have that can be shared.?

Smiles are easy to share with people we know....the sacrifice comes through sharing a smile with those you don't know who may respond with a sneer or not at all.  Kind words shared with pleasant individuals brings joy to all involved.......share kind words with a surly clerk, or a rude attendant or the dirty homeless man crouched in the corner.....your sacrifice is in doing the difficult your reward comes from the knowledge that "such sacrifices are pleasing to God."

The truth is we all have so much to share....sometimes it isn't easy or pleasant.....but the rewards, whenever they come, will be great. My prayer will be that my eyes and my heart will be open to opportunities for sharing.....and that I will find joy in doing what God has led me to do.....no matter how far out of my comfort zone it may take me. 

I ask that those who read these words join me in this.....and let me know what joy follows.

No comments: